Friday 20 April 2012

Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

Suprisely I felt the preliminary task of constructing a school magazine, benefited my well in making my music magazine. The preliminary task has taught me a variety of skillful and benefical techniques, it has also introduced me to a variety of softwares such as Photoshop and InDesign which taught me how to manipulate images and use different tools to put together my music magazine.

If I was to compare my music magazine to my preliminary task, you could clearly that my school magazine lack greatly in professionalism and creativity which I believe my music magazine has. It looks very simple and of a low standard. Although before creating my preliminary task I had the basic understanding of what not to and to include into my school magazine but I seem to not full understand.

- Comparison between front covers
Straightaway when you compare both covers you can see which one could easily sit on the shelf and which one looked like an 'Einstein at Microsoft Word' made it in a Microsoft Word document. There is a lot of space on my school magazine - it has few cover lines and the font along with the colour contrast greatly with the background. Additionally the music magazine looks more vibrant that the school magazine, this could be due to me trying to incorpret the colours from the school bag into my magazine. Although since going back and reviewing over the preliminary task I have found that it is possible to use the same colours (blue, yellow and grey) in a more vibrant way. 

- Comparison between content pages 
From my research in print production, magazines usually have a three column structure in their content page which ensure them that they are using up as  tmuch space as possible at the same time, stopping it looking cluttered as it has a structure. Nonetheless I discovered that leaving a lot of space in your magazine in can cost a lot of money moreover comparing the two content pages I can see that my school magazine not only lacks a lot of professionalism but has a lot of space which may cost a lot in print production.

Furthermore looking back at my preliminary task I feel my knowledge of using Photoshop has expanded. I have learnt where each tool is, how to find it etc. I have also found a webiste filled with over a hundred of fonts (dafonts.com) - this expands my variety of fonts allowing to experiment with more. The most important thing I have learnt is how to make my work look professional and useful techniques in my magazine that I could increase my consumers.

Overall since the preliminary task the complexity of my layout has increased, my kmowledge about softwares have improved throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment